Friday 12 August 2011

Religious left?

   For years now I have been making the same argument and thought it is about time to put it in writing.  What about the religious left?  I am tired of conservative right wingers acting like they have the corner on the market of religious thought.  I consider myself a very religious person, and I am also more of a leftist politically. I don't see a conflict with that.
  For instance, Christianity, and some other religions, stress the need to be kind to others, especially those who are more needy than yourself.  Don't left-leaning social programs do just that?  On the other hand, someone whose religion teaches that God punishes and that those who have bad lives have done something to deserve their misery is more likely to cut social programs.  While someone who holds those beliefs may not say it out loud, is there some thinking behind right wing policies that to provide help to a person in need is to interfere with God's will-- i.e. punishing the guilty for some un-named crime?
   I would like to see a political movement that takes advantage of the religious left.  There are many of us who attend church, pray, and do not vote conservatively.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment